RSPCA’s Cupcake Day is this August with the official day on Monday 21st and the RSPCA hails this event as a way animal’s lovers across the nation make a stand for animal welfare and indulge your sweet tooth.
“Absolutely 100% of funds raised through baking efforts will help rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome the 135,000 animals that come through RSPCA shelters every year,” RSPCA said.
Maybe you’re thinking – yes I love animals and baked treat but I don’t where to start? Keep reading as we share some great ideas to make your fundraising day a success.
When you decide to become a Cupcake Day host there are so many ways you can host your cupcake day and the RSPCA will send you an exclusive host kit when you register.
It might be at home morning tea, in the workplace, a bake sale at school or at your local dog park.
Wait a minute, did you say, a my dog park? Yes I did.
For many pet owners the dog park or beach is a great way to get some social interaction for your pooch and yourself, so why not share your baking skills with local pet lovers in your area.
How do I advertise and get the word out?
There are various community and dog park pages on Facebook. Why not share a post like this:
“Hi everyone, My dog Jessie and I are fundraising for Cupcake Day this Monday the 21st of August. We will be at the Forest Lake off-leash dog park from 4pm-5pm with a tray of cupcakes. Enjoy a sweet treat for a gold coin donation! I will have human and pet-friendly treats – see you there.”
To make your post stand out in the Facebook group we recommend including a photo of some yummy cupcakes.
Here is an example from Nicole and Cary who were fundraising for Cupcake Day at their local dog park. To wet everyone’s appetite they posted a photo of the yummy cupcakes in the group beforehand with the time they would be at the dog park.
Once you have registered, and organised where you will fundraise, let everyone know – then it’s time to get baking and decorating!
CHOCLATE CUPCAKES WITH MINT CHOC CHIC BUTTERCREAM
Cupcakes by Ali King shared this awesome human cupcake recipe with the RSPCA and why her and her business partner Emilie are so passionate about cupcakes and puppies.
“We’re both massive supporters of the work that the RSPCA does. So when you combine puppies and our love of cupcakes, how could we resist the opportunity to get involved and help promote such a fun and worthwhile cause,” King said.
190 grams caster sugar
50 grams dutch cocoa powder
110 grams plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup buttermilk
¼ cup sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon instant coffee grains
½ cup hot water
Mint Choc Chip Buttercream
150 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
300 grams icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoon thickened cream
40 grams dark chocolate, grated finely
1-2 teaspoon peppermint essence
Green food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line cupcake tins with cases.
2. Place all dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine.
3. Add the buttermilk, sunflower oil, egg and vanilla extract and beat on medium-high with the paddle attachment for two minutes.
4. Combine the instant coffee grains and hot water.
5. Turn down the speed of the mixer to slow and gradually add in the coffee mixture until combined.
6. Pour batter into the cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
7. Let the cupcakes cool before icing.
Mint Choc Chip Buttercream
1. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter with the paddle attachment until very soft and fluffy for four minutes.
2. Slowly add the salt and sifted icing sugar, then beat on high speed for a further five minutes.
3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the thickened cream.
4. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
5. Mix in the grated dark chocolate and peppermint essence to taste.
6. Add in the green food colouring.
7. Frost your cupcakes
APPLE STRUDEL PUPCAKE RECIPE
Maybe you would like something special for your furbabies as well? Your four-legged friend will love this Apple Strudel pupcake recipe.
Makes 12-14 pupcakes.
2¾ cups water
¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
¼ teaspoon vanilla
4 cups wholemeal flour
1 cup dried apple pieces (you can also use fresh fruit)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cage-free egg, beaten slightly
4 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Spray a cupcake tin with cooking spray.
2. Mix all wet ingredients thoroughly and combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, scraping well to make sure no dry mixture is left.
4. Pour the mixture into the cupcake tin.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the centre of a pupcake and if it comes out dry, they are ready to come out of the oven.
6. Wait until cooled to serve.
7. Store in a sealed container.
Note: because this recipe is for your four-legged friends, they’re sure to find them tasty… but you may not!
For more information on Cupcake Day click here.
Find local Vets, store your Pet’s Health, etc, download PetCloud today.