In recent years there’s been an increase in the number of doggy day care services being booked in inner metro areas across Australia. But is it aimed at just over-anxious Pet Parents? Or should it actually be considered as an essential part of your dog’s development?
What is doggy day care?
Doggy day care is day time care service for your dog in a Pet Sitter’s home. Depending on the Pet Sitter you choose, you can also choose Puppy Day Care for younger dogs.
When is Doggy Day care useful?
- You can book doggy day care when you are on a road trip with your dog and you have a short, non-dog-friendly spot to explore for the day.
- You can book doggy day care if you work long hours at an office and you own a solo dog prone to boredom or anxiety and loneliness.
- If your puppy has had all their core vaccinations and are in the critical socialisation period (around 11 weeks) and they need to learn to interact well with other dogs, people, smells, and sounds so they grow into a well-adjusted adult dog.
Is Doggy Day care essential?
Yes. The RSPCA advises there is a ‘critical socialisation period’ between approximately 3 -17 weeks of age. However, your pup must have all core vaccinations prior to being exposed to other puppies, so this means your pup probably won’t be able to start socialising until around 11 weeks after their vaccinations are all complete.
Two young puppies playing at home-based doggy day care
Does my Dog get lonely?
Any dog can suffer from separation anxiety. Certain breeds can also be more affected by being left alone—for example - working breeds, Labradors, Retrievers and Terriers. What is key is having two dogs of a similar size and similar temporament together.
Breeds particularly prone to anxiety about being alone include;
- Toy Poodles and Mixed Poodle Breeds.
- Australian Shepherds.
- Bichon Frises.
- Italian Greyhounds.
- French Bulldogs.
- Fox Terriers.
Is Doggy Day Care safe?
We don't use Commercial Venues
Ensuring Safe Play Equipment and Environmental Enrichment
- Play equipment must be durable and safe for dogs and easily cleaned and disinfected.
- Toys used in exercise areas must be washed and disinfected weekly.
- An inventory of all toys used must be kept and toys checked for broken pieces, sharp edges and any other damage.
- Clearly defined inventory management on the number and types of toys used in the exercise areas must be documented.
- All gates must be locked and cannot be opened spontaneously by Service people visiting the property.
Dog Preparation Requirements
- Dogs must have completed all core vaccinations,
- Must not be on heat,
- Must be desexed, and
- Must have parasite control (Flea and Tick, Heart, and Gut).
- Must be micrchipped, Council Registered, and be wearing a collar with Council tag, plus engraved ID tag with the Owner's up to date contact details and be on a leash upon arrival.
What happens at Doggy Day Care?
It varies from Sitter to Sitter in a Home Based Environment however, usually:
- Ball throwing and fetching
- Tug of war with a ball rope.
- Sensory Stimulation through Scent trails
- Enrichment Toys such as kong wobblers & snuffle mats
- Doggy Naps
- Some Sitter's may have fenced pools and with the Owner's permission, and Sitter supervision, some dogs may be allowed to swim in summer to cool down.?
Is my dog’s breed suited to doggy day care?
How much does doggy day care cost?
Booking an ongoing weekly program of care is the most affordable option. From $40 and up for 8 hours during the day.