For Pet Owners who have multiple Pets, booking a House Sitter is the preferred option & can be much easier than driving your pets all across town to stay with 3 separate Pet Sitters.House Sitters from PetCloud are all screened with a police background check before thye come and stay in your home , as well as being covered by insurance. Here are a few quick tips for Pet Owners that will make your House Sitter feel more comfortable when they come to stay. Your overall responsibilities to your house sitter are:
- Provide a safe and clean environment
- Have clear expectations agreed upon before the sit. Completing the House Sitting Welcome Form and discussing it at your Meet & Greet and leaving it on the kitchen bench will help you set expectations.
- Ensure you are always available for communication. Discuss with the sitter your preferred method of contact, and provide your itinerary.
- Ensure that neighbors or friends know that someone is going to be in your home
- Alert your veterinarian. Establish an account with the vet. Ensure a consent for medical treatment is in place.
- Ensure the sitter is aware of the operation of your home and contents
- Ensure there is enough safety gear and fuel to operate any equipment required
- Ensure there is enough wet and dry food for animals for the duration of the stay (plus an extra 2 days just in case).
- Leave some spare money just in case OR ensure that you have accounts set up with the vet and/or other service providers…THE SITTER SHOULD NEVER BE OUT OF POCKET
1. Give them fresh sheets, pillows, and quilts to sleep in.Everyone can tell when they’ve been given a fresh bed as opposed to a dusty old guest bedroom.
2. Leave the details of your usual Vet (and emergency Vet) in case the Sitter has queries on any concerning behaviour of your pets and can’t get in touch with you.This is important to have handy on the kitchen bench. A few details about how many times a day to feed your pets and what they eat would be great too.
3. Don’t completely empty your cupboards and fridge out. Leave behind a few essentials; Tea & Coffee, a Small Carton of Fresh Milk, some cereal, and some bread and some margarine.House Sitters are protecting your home by having it lived in while youre away, ensuring your plants dont die, bringing your bins in, and cuddling your pets. Make them feel welcome and at home!
4. Leave the name of your Wifi, the Username, and the Password and the Internet Company name so they can access the internet.A lot of House Sitters are what they call “Digital Nomads” and these are people who are quite educated, motivated, and experienced, and get paid by companies to work remotely (usually on websites on their laptops) for pretty good money. They don’t follow the beaten path of the holiday crowds, they holiday and live in a financially smart way and enjoy the freedom and break from life routine that house sitting brings. Every House Sitter on PetCloud will have a current Police Background Check, so look for the gold “Police Checked’ badge on their profile.
5. Leave instructions about your gadgets & if you need them to water the plantsSuch as your remote control, air con, washing machine, garage remote, stereo, security alarms and anything else that is a gadget of some kind.
6. Leave a clear box of where to find your pets bowls, bedding, leashes, food.Don’t make them have to search the entire house just to find it.
7. Buy enough pet food to last your entire trip + 2 days worth in case of any delays.
8. Draw and leave a mud map of your local neighbourhood that includes key local shops and corner grocery stores.Eg. “Foodworks 1km down the road on Zackery Street closes at 10pm. Dominos Pizza on Birch Street.” It doesnt have to be pixel perfect.
9. Folders with helpful information on the local area, local business’ and pet owning regulations An example of a clear pocket folder you can fill with nearby restaurant menus, maps, a local responsible dog ownership pamphlet, and local massage flyers
10. Make it easy for your House Sitter to collect the keys Home owners can purchase a Master Lock Portable Key Storage Safe from Bunnings – it looks like a giant padlock with a pin number combination – so you are able to leave your house key safely behind around the side of the house for the House Sitter.
Hero Photo Image Credit: http://sothentheysay.com/i-just-want-to-hang-with-my-dog/