What do you think of when you hear “self-care”? Like many of us you may think of a mani-pedi, bubbles baths or a new hairdo.
While these are great ways to take time out for yourself let’s explore how to take care of the most important asset in your pet sitting business, YOU!
It is important to take care of yourself when you aren’t working because as a pet sitter a pet owner is placing their beloved pet in your hands and trusting you to be a reliable and responsible carer while they are away.
You probably understand the importance of taking time for yourself, but are you doing it?
CARING FOR YOURSELF SO YOU CAN CARE FOR OTHERS
Aside from the fluffy aspects of self-care, which we love too, here are some self-care tips you may not know:
- Getting rid of the excuse, reason or story that is holding you back in life and business
- Exercising every day: whether it’s the gym, team sports, dancing, walking a dog, or something else exercising has a range of mental and physical benefits including boosting your energy levels, making you feel happier and helping your brain health and memory.
- Eating healthy: treat yourself to good food, you’re worth it.
- You are the equal of the 5 people you spend time with the most, so surround yourself with positive, loving and supportive people. Distance yourself from those who aren’t.
- Forgive yourself for past mistakes and learn from them so you can grow and move forward in you life/business.
- Reading mindset/self-help books, and actually following through with the expert’s advice
- Don’t just go through the motions. Make a decision every day to be present in your life and business.
- If you are having any issues or dealing with past trauma it is ok to need help. Seek a counsellor for a chat.
- Acknowledge when you need to change something and/or get rid of something in your life/business that is no longer helping you personally or as a pet sitter.
As a pet sitter you may often work long hours while managing your clients and their pet’s needs but thankfully with PetCloud you aren’t alone in managing and maintaining your business.
But on top of the feeding, watering, walking, meet and greet, replying to clients and applying for jobs you need to make time for YOU!
Having a work-life balance is so important in any job, so don’t put your health and wellbeing on the back-burner, because how can you provide the best care to pets if you aren’t looking after yourself.
SELF CARE NEEDED! COMMON WARNINGS SIGNS
This is a great time of year to reevelatue your life and business.
Here are some common signs and symptom which are indicators you are over-stressed:
- Chronic fatigue (even after getting more sleep)
- Negative thoughts about your business (constant, not just here-and-there)
- Binge eating/drinking
- Sleeping too much/ too little
- Not exercising
- Letting your house go… like really let is GO
- Lashing out/irritable ALL THE TIME
- Always feeling undervalued and overwhelmed
- Little time for fun with friends/family/significant other
You may be experiencing more than one of these characteristics in your life or pet business, and whether we like to admit it work effects our personal life.
A pet sitter’s care and compassion can take a toll, so please take some time for yourself throughout this year, schedule it in and make time for you!
IMPORTANT! ATTENTION PET SITTERS
If for medical, health or personal adversity you are unable to complete a booking with a new or repeat bookings please contact PetCloud so we can assist the pet owner to make sure a suitable pet carer is found and their work or holiday trip is as unimpeded as possible.